Saturday, September 8, 2018

Digital Footprints: Touching the World


Warning: Sappy teacher/librarian moment.

The Journey Begins
Five years ago, I really feel like I began my journey teaching students about information literacy.  Five years ago, however, I wasn’t in a library, I was in the classroom, working with a new 1 to 1 initiative utilizing Google Chromebooks and Google Apps for education in Fairfield County.  This did not come without a challenge, because it was a different way of thinking, even for a relatively new teacher. It took a huge amount of planning and coordination in between teachers and librarians within the district, but in the end, we all saw the HUGE potential that the initiative presented for our students.  Initially, my goal was to have my students utilize technology to make their learning more meaningful and real world, and in return, prepare them for a technology-infused future.
Video of some of my former students from 5 years ago when my journey began
Fast forward five years, and now I am in a different district and new to a library, but I’m still working to achieve some of those same goals which I fully embraced my third year in the classroom. Two days ago, Google for Education released a video which brought tears to my eyes.  Some of those same babies which I started my own journey with are now beginning their first year of college, and to hear their responses of how that initiative affected them was truly moving.  They saw the power of how the interaction of information literacy, technology, and digital media better prepared them for their own future.
Reflections from some of the same students from 5 years ago
The Journey Continues

After reviewing this week’s readings and resources, I realized it was time for me to take my original goals relating to information literacy to the next level. It’s time for me to think about information literacy in a different mindset.  Instead of focusing on the blend of information and technology, I need to think more about how I can teach students to use technology to find true information and how to read and dissect that information to apply it in more meaningful ways. This means teaching my students how to distinguish between real and fake information and promoting digital literacy.  I also need to teach my students that, while they are young, they are already leaving a digital footprint in the world.  What do they want their digital footprint to say about them as a student and a learner?

This is a new challenge for me because, in some ways, it requires me to change my own mindset.  After all, I’ve been a classroom teacher for 8 years, and my end goals for students as a librarian are a little different. All of this is coming during a shift with the release of the new AASL standards, and just like 5 years ago, I will need to collaborate with my peers to reach my goals.  We will need to go on an “information diet” together. I am thankful that my district leaders have already chosen for the school librarians professional development to focus on the new AASL standards so that we can work together to figure how we can best meet the needs of the students which we serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment